Regular cleaning and maintenance is the secret to keeping your pool water sparkling clean and clear blue. If you follow the weekly schedule below, you will enjoy crystal clear pool water all through the Charlotte NC swimming season.
Weekly pool cleaning tasks
- Add pool shock to your pool. This breaks down any organic matter which may be in the pool water and also disinfects the water, too. There are both chlorine and non-chlorine products available. The important thing to remember is to add the chemical to your pool water in the right ration based on your total pool water volume. You can follow the directions on the pool shock label or call one of Charlotte’s most reliable pool contractors, Carolina Pool Plastering to determine the correct ratio for your pool. Following a rainstorm or extremely hot temperatures, you may need to add additional pool shock to your pool water.
- Add a maintenance dose of algae prevention once a week.
- Clean all of the walls in the pool thoroughly with a brush.
- Clean the pool’s floor with a pool vacuum to ensure all debris is gone.
Twice weekly pool maintenance tasks
- Check the pool chemical levels using test strips. It is important to maintain the pool water’s chemical balance. Your pool water’s pH should measure somewhere between 7.4 and 7.6. If you are using chlorine, this chemical should measure between one to three parts per million.
- Check and empty the pool’s filter baskets.
- Clean any tile work, especially at the water line. You can use a pool surface cleaner for this task.
- Remove insects, leaves, and any other floating debris from the water’s surface using a skimming tool.
Even if you routinely perform all of these maintenance tasks, there may come a time when you will need pool repair. When you do, call Carolina Pool Plastering, one of Charlotte’s most reliable pool contractors.
Pool maintenance tasks after a special event
- If you have a large group of people in your pool at one time, it is a good idea to prepare your pool with additional pool shock before the event. After the event, you should thoroughly clean your pool with a brush and then add chlorine. Also clean your pool filters right away following a big party.
- If you have animals, such as your pet dog in your pool, it is extremely important to clean your pool after everyone is out. Skim the pool’s surface and empty your skimmer basket and filters so the pet hair does not get back into the pool water.
Performing proper maintenance and cleaning can help keep your pool water clean. When you do need repairs to your backyard pool, call Carolina Pool Plastering, one of Charlotte’s most reliable pool contractors to do the work.